Population: As of 2001, the Indian indicates that Erode city (old municipal area) had a population of 151,184, in an area covering just 8.4 sq.km..
Climate: Erode has moderate-dry weather throughout except during the monsoon season. Generally the first two months of the year are pleasant, but in March, the mercury gains an upward trend which persists till the end of May. The highest temperature is normally recorded during May. The scanty showers during this period do not provide any relief from the oppressive heat.
Economy: Erode and its surrounding areas are having very good infrastructural base. Small Scale Industries are providing large-scale employment next to Agriculture in this area. It have played a very important role in the area's economy by providing large scale employment opportunities at fairly low capital cost, a wide industrial base, easy scattering of industries in rural areas and concentration of certain industrial groups at specific areas.
Agriculture: Erode is a very important market centre for Turmeric, and coconut. The coconut and turmeric is received in major part from Erode, and in minor from other parts of Tamil Nadu, and adjoining districts like Mysore, Chamarajanagar in Karnataka State.
It is famous also for rice and oil mills, as well as dairy. It is also one of the largest coconut oil producers in south-India.
Institutes of Engineering & Technology
· The Institute Of Road and Transport Technology (IRTT).
· Kongu Vellalar Institutions, Perundurai.
· Bannari Amman Institute of Technology (BITs), Sathy.
· KSR Institutions, Tiruchengode
· EBIT Group of Institutions, Kangayam.
· Erode Sengunthar Engineering College, Thudupati.
· Vellalar Engineering College of Technology, Thindal.
· Maharaja Engineering College , Perundurai.
· SSM College for Engineering & Technology, Komarapalayam.
· Sasurie College Of Engineering, Vijayamagalam.
· Surya Engineerring College, Mettukadai.
· Al-Ammen College of Engineering, Nanjai-Utthukuli.
· Nandha Institute of Technology, Perundurai Road.
· Sri Venkateshwara Educational Trusts (Engineering College, School), Gobi.
· M.P.Nachimuthu M.Jaganathan Engineering college, Chennaimalai.
· JKK Group of Technology Institute, Komaraplayam.
· Ramanathan College of Engineering, Vijayamangalam.
· Erode Excel Group of Institutions, Komarapalayam.
· Selva Kumar Engineering College, Sivagiri, Erode.
· Rabindranath Tagore College of Engineering, Erode.
· Vivekanada College of engineering for Women, Tiruchengode.
· Vidhaya-Vikas College of Engineering, Tiruchengode.
· Sengundhar Engineering College, Tiruchengode.
· IRT Perundurai Medical College (IRT-PMCH), Perundurai, Erode
· Nandha Institute of Pharmacy & Nursing
· Erode College of Pharmacy
· CK School of Nursing
· Shoba College of Nursing
· Coimbatore Institute of Pharmacy
· KSR Institute of Pharmacy & Nursing
Teacher Training Institutes
· D.I.E.T - District Institute of Educational Training, Perundurai, Erode
· Sara Women's Institute, Erode
· Ashram Institute, Erode
· SPM Institute, Erode
· CSI, Erode
Arts & Science Institutions
Arts & Science Colleges (Aided)
· Chikkaiah Naicker College  [co education] Erode-4.
· Erode Arts and Science college for Men, Rangampalayam.
· Sri Vasavi College for Arts & Science, Chithode.
· Vellalar Arts & Science College for Women, Thindal.
· Gobi Arts & Science College, Gobi-53.
Arts & Science Colleges (self Financing)
· Kongu Arts and Science College, Nanjanapuram.
· Erode Arts for Women, Rangampalayam.
· Sri Vasavi Self Finance Arts & Science College, Bhavani Road.
· Bharadhidasan College of Arts & Science, Ellispettai.
· Sree Amman Arts & Science College, Chithode.
· CSI College of Arts & Science, PS Park.
· Vellalar Arts & Science College for Women, Thindal.
· Navarasam Arts & Science College for Women, Arachalur.
· K M C College of Arts & Science, Muthur.
· Cherraan Arts & science College, Thitupaarai, Chennimalai.
· Maharaja Arts & Science College for Women's, Perundurai Road.
· PKR Arts & Science College for women, Gobi-76.
· Sardha Arts & Science College for women , Gobi-53.
· Kaamadhenu Arts & Science College, Sathy.
· Ayyan Thiruvalluvar Arts & Science College, Sathy.
· Nandha Arts & Science College, Perundurai Road.
· Indian Public School, Chennimalai Road.
· Maharaja International School, Perundurai Road.
· AmarJyothi Public School, Kangeyam Road, Archalur.
· Nandha Central School, Perundurai Road.
· Indu International School, Sathy Road.
· BVB Public School, Perundurai Road.
· Kongu Residential School, Perundurai Road.
· Geethanjali Public School, Perundurai Road.
· Cee-Dees Public School, Karur Bye-pass Road.
· Adhithya Public School, Chennimalai.
· Shri KRP Academy, Sathy Road.
· Unique Academy, Perundurai.
· Railway Mixed School, Railway Colony.
· BVB Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Thindal.
· AET Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Pavalathampalayam.
· Al-Ameen Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Karungalpalam.
· Jaycess Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Moolapalayam.
· Erode Hindhu Kalvi Nilayam Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Mamarathupalayam.
· Vellalar Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Thindal.
· URC Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Sengodampalayam.
· Erode Matriculation Secondary School, Kumalankuttai
· Kalaimagal Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Brough Road.
· Prasanthi Vidhya Bhavan Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Chinniampalayam.
· Carmel Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Kollampalayam.
· Asharam Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Kollampalayam.
· SSVN Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Rangampalayam.
· Kongu Kalvi Nilayam Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Rangampalayam.
· Meenakshi Sundarambal Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Rangampalayam.
· Maharaja Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Perudurai Road.
· Nandha Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Perundurai Road.
· Kongu National Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Veppampalayam.
· Siddhartha Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Thiru-Nagar Colony.
· Sagar vidhaya Bhavan Matriculation Higher Secondary School.
· Rajendra Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Vadukapati, Arachalur.
· Navarasam Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Palliyuthu.
· Kongu Vidhayalya Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Manickampalayam.
· Vedhathiri Matriculation School, Saminathapuram.
· Amman Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Manickampalayam & Sampath Nagar.
· Green Park Matriculation School, Chennimalai Road.
· SKP Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Tiruchengode Road.
· KSR Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Tiruchengode Road.
· Vidhaya Vikas Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Tiruchengode Road.
· SSM Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Komarapalayam.
· JKK Muniraj Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Komarapalayam.
· Reliance Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Pallipalayam Road.
· Excel Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Komarapalayam.
· Maragathavali Matriculation Higher Secondary School.
· SVN Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Sathy Road & Bhavani Road.
· Sengunthar School, Brough Road.
· Kalaimagal Kalvi Nilayam.
· CSI School, Brough Road.
In manufacturing and automobile sector, Sakthi Auto-components Limited of Erode plays a major role. It produces components for 73 kind of branded Automobiles. The major manufacturing unit is located near Perundurai on NH-47, connecting Coimbatore.
Textile is the major business in the city. Erode is well known for marketing of handloom, power-loom and ready-made garments and textiles. Loomed products are marketed here in bulk. Erode produces about 47% of state's total textile needs. Erode occupies many textile markets, among which Gani Market in PS Park, is the biggest one. Merchants from all over India participate in this. The market opens on Monday evening and closes on Tuesday morning, and mean-whiles it takes a turn-over of about 5-6 Crores of Indian Rupees. Behind this, the other textile markets in the city are open for all days sri amman dying works Mr.E.V.Muthusamy is also a senior master of dying works.
Power-Loom, Hand-Loom were major occupation in this area, producing a lot of textile goods.
Erode stands second in leather processing, next only to Ambur of Vellore District. Erode-Bhavani, a 10 km long belt is completely occupied by Leather processing industries and Tanneries, integrating the town of Bhavani with Erode. After completely occupying this length, they are now shifting towards Chithode line.
Seshasayee paper boards is the second largest company, next to TNPL, located in pallipalayam across Cauvery. They were the first to introduce the use of baggase from sugarcane to provide eco-friendly papers. It has its own sugar cane processing factory, to get the baggase for their own. They provide a large residential area for their employees in Erode, named SPB Colony.
Erode houses many Sugar-cane processing industries to extract juice from the cane and to make sugar and the remains to be used as baggase for paper manufacturing, which include Sakthi Sugars, Ponni Sugars and E.I.D Parry's.
Perundurai, an industrial sub-urb of Erode houses SIPCOT Industrial Complex, is one of the major industrial projects, which houses a lot of textile, leather processing, steel, food processing industries. This industrial complex is under expansion and processed with starting of Textile SEZ. Parryware is going to install a new modernised manufacturing unit in this Special Economic Zone.
There are two SIDCO Industrial Estates, one near Diesel-shed and another near N.Uttukuli-Solar, managed by EDISSIA, Small Scale Industries Development Association of Erode.
Retail industry plays a major role in the revenue of the city. This is evident from existing super markets like Kannan Departmental Stores, Sangeetha Shoppping Malls, Spencer's Daily, Big Bazaar, More, Sakthi Super Market and on-going malls construction like Relance Trendz.
In line with the ancient architecture of the city, the business set up in the city is confined to a particular industry in a street and can find series of shops selling the similar products. RKV Road is crowded with branded Textile and Jewellery showrooms. Easwaran Kovil Street is fully stuffed with thousands of whole-sale textile merchants shops, Gandhiji Road with Textile Retail shops and textile markets, Hundreds of Jewellery shops in Pon Street, Goods Transports and Fruit Godowns in Nethaji Road, Electronic goods in Brough Road, Automobile spare parts in EVN Road and Mobile show rooms in Mettur Road, hardwares in Sathy Road, Non-veg food stuffs in Surampatti 4 Roads, all exclusive showrooms in Perundurai Road. Printing and Hotels in Akil-medu Street, Books and Note Books in PS Park. There are separate streets with retail shops for decorative articles, Bangles, Gift Articles, Gold and Ornaments, Chemicals and Pharmas etc.
There are cinema halls or multiplexes for all classes of people. Apart from Tamil movies, some of Hindi and English movies also released in the city. Muthuram Complex, Brough Complex and Corporation Shopping mall near Clock Tower form the major landmarks for the retail business outlets in the city. There are other shopping places like Mega Mart, Big Bazaar, Raymonds, Chennai Silks, Kalyan Jewellers, Sangeetha Shopping Malls, TATA Gold-plus, Peter England, Alukkas, Kannan Deparments, Derby, Titan Raaga, Malabar Gold, Textile bazaars, etc.
· ABIRAMI & DEVI ABIRAMI A/C
· ANNA THEATREANOOR THEATRE
· BHARATHI THEATRE
· CENTRAL THEATRE K.A.S THEATRE
· KARUMALAYAN THEATRE
Erode District situated at between 10 36” and 11 58” North Latitude and between 76 49” and 77 58” East Longitude.
The city is built around a demolished fort, which includes a temple for Arudra Kabaleeswar (Shiva) praising the Saiva concept and another for Kasthuri Ranganatha Perumal (Vishnu) praising the Vaishnava concept of Hinduism. The speciality is that both are in the same campus for unity.
Dawoodiya Arabic Mosque - BP Agraharam
Thanthai Periyar Memorial House is a Sociological Museum, which depicts the life history of Thanthai periyar, the social reformer.
Erode was under the regime of local Gangakulam kings forming indegenous Chera kings and Western Ganga Dynasty. After a short rule of Cholas with Dharapuram as their Headquarters, Muslims (Modeen Sulthans) took over the rule after which Nayakars of Madurai ruled.
Hyder Ali's Regime Then Hyder Ali and Tippu Sultan, with occasionally rebelling polygar Dheeran Chinnamalai had their sway. In 1799, when Tippu Sultan lost to the British, the East India Company took over the administration after hanging Dheeran Chinnamalai at Sankagiri hill Fort, the Armoury Ware-house of Erode on those days.
During Hyder Ali's regime, Erode was fortificated and flourished with 300 houses and a population of 1500]. A mud fort, with a garrison of 4000 soldiers surrounded by coconut groves and fertile lands formed the boundary with river Kaveri on the north and Kalingarayan Canal as the eastward boundary (by Bucchanan 7th and 8 November 1800).
Owing to the successive wars of Marathas, Mysore and British invasions, Erode almost was deserted and ruined, including the Fortification Rampart. However, as peace was restored by the British, people returned and settled here. Within a year it began to show growth.
K.M from Chennai: It is at Distance of 375Km
Notes:. Erode was built around the Hyder Ali's Fortificated Rampart. Eventhough now the Fort was nomore, but the Religious temples of Lord Shiva and SriRanganathar, occupies the area. These two temples were built together inside a single fort, still unites the Saiva and Vaishnava concepts of Hinduism. Concentric rectangular streets surround the temples, symbolizing the structure of the cosmos. The entire city is laid out in the shape, with these Fortified temples as the Centre. The main business district of Erode is formed around this area, such as, Easwaran Kovil street, Clock Tower, Brough Road, PS Park, etc,.
Near By Places : Coimbatore,Salem ,Trichy ,Tirupur ,Mysore ,Madurai ,Ooty
The festivals of Erode are varied and add an extra spark of life to the town’s daily lives. Notable among these are: