As on 2001 Census 14,59,601
The climate in general is dry and hot.
Minimum : 19.6 C
Maximum : 38.7 C
The chief exports of Pudkkottai were perfumes, groundnuts, Nux vomica seeds, avaram blocks used for tanning leather and acacia bark used in distilleries. The chief imports are salt, rice, European piece-goods, and tobacco.Whic is major of Economy
The chief products of Pudukkottai were silk, cotton, rush mats, bangles, bell-metal vessels and perfumes.
Schools in Pudukkottai
Pudukottai - Colleges
Pudukkottai is one of the industrially backward district of Tamil Nadu. The total numbers of small-scale industries are 634.
National Oxygen Ltd - Manufacturer and traders of industrial gases such as Oxgen gas, dissolved acetylene gas, medical Oxygen, Nitrogen gas, liquid Oxygen, liquid Nitrogen high purity Nitrogen..
· SRF Ltd (Formerly known as Shriram Fibers Ltd.) - Manufacturer : Nylon industrial yarn tyre cord/fabrics leather auxiliaries, fluro carbon refrigerant gases and hydrofluoric acid, besides nylon moulding powder in technical collaboration with chemtex fibres INC. USA. M/s. SRF Nippondenso Ltd. is a joint venture with Nippon Denso Co. Ltd. of Japan for manufacture of automotive electricals. M/s. SRF Transnational Holdings Ltd. is a subsidiary company.
The town proper, a densely populated block, consists of wide straight streets running east to west and north to south, and intersecting one another at right angles. In the centre are now the ruins of the 'fort' with thick and high ramparts (only part of the western wall remains.). Within it at the centre stood what was called the 'old palace' containing a shrine to Dakshina-moorthi, a Durbar Hall that was used on state occasions by the former Rajas of Pudukkottai, and the palacestable. State functions and ceremonies, including the Dassara, were conducted here.
· Saravana Theatre
· Shanthi Theatre
· M A J Cine Theatre
The district lies between 78° 25' and 79° 15' east longitude and between 9° 50' and 10° 40' of the north latitude.
Sea level: Elevation: 90 m above sea level.
KM From Chennai: It is at Distance of 336-km
The Government Museum, Pudukkottai at Thirukogarnam now housed in an age old building then called as the “small palace”, was opened to the public in the year 1910 and it houses the object of the natural history and cultural heritage of the area.
Pre-historical burials, Stone Circles
(2nd Century),Tamil Brahmi Inscriptions (2nd Century)
Megalithic monuments abound with burial urns, stone circles, cairns, dolmens and cists.
Here a hill running north to south rises to the height of about two hundred feet.
On the western face there is a celebrated Jain cave temple with relics of paintings which have a notable place in Indian Art history.
On the eastern face there is a natural cavern with seventeen beds on the floor, used by the Jaina ascetica performing their vow of slow starvation . sallekhana.
Siva Cave Temple (9th Century A.D),
Vishnu Cave Temple ,(9th Century A.D) Fort (17th Century A.D)
o It is situated at a distance of 17km from Pudukottai town towards Karaikudi and Madurai.
o Thirumayam is one of the important religious centers in the South, and its temples are regarded with great veneration both by Vaishnavites and Saivaites.
o Vishnu cave temple Main gopura at the entrance has many of the features of the ‘late Pandya style, such as the corbels with Pushpapodigai, many sided pillars with nagapadam and decorative pilasters.
o Remains of Aintalai Temple(10th Century) Muvar Kovil
o It is an important place to study the art and political history of the region.
o The rock cut temple on the eastern face of this hill consists of a cave and an outer andapam.
o Up the hillock is a small temple of Muruga (Dandapani) which contains an epigraph of Kulasekara Pandya (1268-72.A.D.)
o There are nearly hundred and twenty inscriptions in Kudumianmalai, which give information about the socio-cultural activities of the region through the ages.
Recently a Brahmi inscription of second century A.D. has been discovered in the cave on the hill top , which demonstrates the antiquity of the place.
· Temple with outstanding Sculptures - Temple built by Manickavasagar (13th century to 19th Century)
· Avudayar kovil is 49kms from Pudukkottai and here is the most ornate temple in the district, noted for its fine sculptures, the temple ofAthmanatha.
· An absolute remarkable aspect of the temple is its stone cornices in the mandapams which resemble wooden “reaper” work.
· There are also some stretches of murals and good many portrait sculptures.
Thirugokarnam is suburb of Pudukkottai town on the Pudukottai-Tiruchirappalli road. The famous rock cut temple of Gokarnesa and Goddess Brihadamba, is located here. Originally a simple excavation in the low lying rock, it has over centuries, developed to its present size with the addition of structures from time to time.
The history of Pudukkottai is an epitome of the history of South India. In and around Pudukkottai there are many vestiges of the oldest habitations of man and some of the lithic records known in the south. The Pandyas, Cholas, Pallavas, Haysalas, Vijaynagar and Madurai Nayaks ruled over this part of the country and fostered its communual organisations, trade and industries. They embellished it with temples and monuments of outstanding merit.
Sangam Tamil literature mentions some place names of the district. Oliyamangalam (Thirumayam Taluk) is called as Ollaiyur in Purananuru. It was the birthplace of the poet Ollaiyur Kilan Makan Perumchattan and Ollaiyur Thantha Budha Pandyan. Agananuru also mentions Ollaiyur. It seems to have been an important city of thePandyas. Four other places also are found in the Sangam classics. They are Ambukkovil, the ancient Alumbil, referred to in Agananuru; Avur, the home of the poets Avurkilar, Avur Mulamkilar; Erichi, the ancient Erichalur which had been identified with Erichi Village in Pudukkottai - Aranthangi road (but, according to recent researches, a village near Illupur). It was probably the home of the poet Madalan Madurai Kumaranar. Avayapatti is traditionally associated with Avvaiyar, who is believed to have lived here for some time
Pudukkottai was formerly one of the princely states of India. It was a unique state with all sovereign powers in reign by the Maharaja of Pudukkottai. Pudukkottai state comprised of three Taluks (also spelt as Talukas), viz, Alangudi, Tirumayam and Kulattur, with its headquarters at Pudukkottai. Pudukkottai was under the control of the Muslims during the first half of the 15th century, the Naickers in the middle of the 15th century, and the Moghuls in the 17th century. During the last half of 17th century, the Marathas of Thanjavur ruled Pudukkottai area along with their territory in Thanjavur district.
Later, Pudukkottai came under the suzerainty of the Thondaiman kings. The Thondaiman kings ruled Pudukkottai state till 1948, i.e., before it was merged with the union of the Government of India on 3rd March 1948.
Near By places
· Alangudi - 18-km Chennai - 336-km
· Sivaganga - 156-km Sivakasi - 180-km
· Thanjavur - 56-km Tiruchcharappalli - 50-km
Adi Pooram Festival (July - August) at Sri Kokarneswarar Brahadambal Temple, Thirukokarnam and Manikkavasagar Festival at Avudayarkoil are celebrated every year in a grand manner.