Origin of the name:
there are several theories for the origin of the city's name. One is that Tiruchirapalli was named after the three-headed demon Trishira (or "Chira") who performed penance at the Shiva temple in the city and obtained favors. The city was therefore named after the demon. Another theory states that since there are three peaks in the area, which are occupied by Shiva, Parvati, and Vinayaka the name Tri-Shikharam or Tirisirapuram arose. The legend says that Shiva in the guise of a woman attended to the call of a devotee in labor, hence he is called as Matrubhuteswarar (Matru means mother, Bhuteswar is another name of Siva meaning 'king of ghosts') or Taayumaanavar in Tamil.
The name Tiruchirappali is the combination of three words Thiru + Chira + Palli, meaning the 'School Chira'. In Thaayumanavar Temple in Rock fort, the pictures depict that there was a saint called 'Chira', who established a school ('Palli' in Tamil) near that area. Hence the name Chira Palli or Tiruchirappalli, Tiru is a honoric prefix for the saint Chira.] Normally the place names ends with 'Palli' refers the ancient devotional place of Jains (Samanar). Rocky caves in many places occupied by them. 'Palli' means not only school but also refers to resting place.
Population: As of 2001, Trichy had a population of 7,52,066 within the corporation limits and the urban agglomeration had a population of 8,66,354
Economy: Trichy is a major engineering hub and energy equipment and fabrication capital of IndiaTrichy has two major powerplants makers.in india 65% of power plants equipments are produced in trichy.
Bharat Heavy Electriclas Limited
(BHEL) is ranked among the leading Power Plant Manufacturers in the world, its turnover crossed 10,008 cr in 2009-2010. At trichy, the High Pressure Boiler Plant of the Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) was setup in 1963. Now, it is one of the foremost manufacturing facilities within BHEL and it has 3 major plants namely, High Pressure Boiler Plant, Seamless Steel Tube Plant and Boiler Auxiliaries Plant. BHEL is the first state-owned company to acquire ISO 9000 certification during 1993 for all its operations. Further it has been accredited to ISO 14001 Standard. It is having a very big Housing colony, with all facilities including good educational facilities, on the NH-67, just in front of the main factory. And it manufactures about 86% of the total outcome of BHEL is from this factory.BHEL was set up during the period of K.Kamaraj, the then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu and the statue of K.Kamaraj is there at the entrance of the Colony main Gate.
Cethar Vessels Limited
CVL is a leading boiler and power plant manufacturer in India.The annul capacity of the company is 8000 MW with an outstanding order value of Rs 5000 crore.The company has tied-up with US based Riley-power for manufacturing Super Critical boilers and has signed an MoU with OJSC power machines of Russia to take up the manufacture of turbines for thermal power plants in India.
GOLDEN ROCK RAILWAY WORKSHOP, HAPP and OFT are some of the central govt. organisations.
TDCL--- Trichy distilleries & Chemicals LTD.Provides organic chemical material,organic salt,ceramic manufacturing and pharmaceuticals.6 products are acetaldehyde, acetic acid, acetic anhydride, alcohols, and ethyl acetate.
TSRM--- Trichy Steel Rolling Mills, Tamilnadu's biggest Melting and Re-rolling units of TMT bars.
Dalmia Cements--- One of the famous cements in our country has its plant in Dalmiapuram - Trichy.
EID - Parry--- Parry sugar factory is situated near Pettaivaithalai which also contributes in Trichy's Economy.
Sanmar group, Rane group, SRF and TVS are located in the Viralimalai Zone.
L&T, MRF, ANSOLDO are eyeing trichy to develop their business.
HCL (CONTURA) has a carrier development centre in the city to guide the youth of the city.
A number of small scale industries have also sprung up in Trichy, mostly around Thuvakudi and Mathur. Leather tanneries are located on the way to Pudukottai. Viralimalai is considered an industrial suburb where many factories are located. Manachanallur has numerous rice mills supplying polished rice all over Tamil Nadu and it is well known for the quality of the rise produced from its land. The Coir Mat industries are located on the way to Musuri.
The economy of the city is driven to a certain extent by IT/ITES companies encouraged by the support from state government. A dedicated stretch of land has been identified and developed to increase the state's share in national IT/ITES exports. The government had begined its work for setting up IT park in the city. The economy of the city would be increased to a great extend if this park comes into working. Which would be finished in about one year.
Geography : It is at an 10°49′N 78°41′E / 10.81°N 78.69°E
The Brahadeeswarar temple at Gangaikondacholapuram was conceived and constructed by the Chola King Rajendra -I after his victory over the kingdoms bordering the river Ganga. Apart from the huge Nandi, there are some beautiful sculptures including a dancing Ganesha,a lion-headed well and a stunning frieze depicting Rajendra being crowned by Siva and Parvati.
In this village are the remains of 2nd century B.C.Jain cave temple. Fresco paintings reminiscent of Ajanta adorn the walls. Many of them are typical of the 9th century Pandyan period and include exquisitely detailed pictures of animals, fish, ducks, people gathering lotuses from a pond and two dancing figures. There are also inscriptions dating back to the 9th and 10th centuries. Fresco painting from the 7th century can be seen on the ceiling of the Ardhamandapam. There are many pre-historic burial sites around Sittannavasal and among the relics unearthed are burial urns, cists and Kurangupatarai.
Sri Kokarneswarar Temple
The rock-cut cave temple of Sri Kokarneswarar Brahadambal at Thirukokarnam is of Mahendravarma Pallava's period.
This is a very important place of pilgrimage, famous for its temple dedicated to the Goddess Mariamman .The people believe that what they pray will occur. In the Tamil month 'Chithitai' there will be a car festival and Poochoridhal will be celebrated in
Uthamar Koil in Karumbanur is one of the most famous shrines in 108 Vaishnavik Padalshtalam. This temple is situated eight kilometres north of Trichy Fort Station, 4 km north of Srirangam railway station. Here is the temple where the Lord Creator - Brahma, the lord for the well being of the universe - Vishnu and the destroyer of universe - Siva take their abode. This place is also known as " Kadambavanam" or "Trimurthishektram".
Kodumbalur (42 km)
This place is also known as Moovarkoil (36 km from Pudukkottai). Out of the three shrines here, only two exist now. It was formerly the seat of the Irukkuvelar. These temples were built by Boodhi Vikramakesari in the 10th century A.D. with sculptures of Kalarimurthi, Gajasamharamurthi, Ardhanariswara and Gangadaramurthi which are masterpieces of art. Nearby is the Muchukumdeswarar temple of the Early Chola period.
This place is famous for its temple for Vishnu, known as Prasanna Venkateswarar.
A fine picnic spot, it is located in the foot hills of the kolli rage. It is 72 kilometers from Trichy city.
This temple, dedicated to Lord Siva os also called as 'Erumbeeshwarar temple' is about 10 km from Trichy near Tiruverumbur on the tanjore main road.
Grand Anaicut (Kallanai Dam)- An Ancient dam built by Karikala Chola across the river Cavery in 2 AD.
There is an old church which was constructed by Father John Venantius Bouchet situated here.
The Upper Anaicut built in the 19th Century is about 685m long. The dam is divided in to three major sections so that it got the name 'mukkombu',situtated at the head of Srirangam is a very pleasant spot and people crowd there in weekends and on all holidays.
This is about 23 km from Trichy was built by Karikala Cholan on 2nd Century. This stone bridge is 329m long and 20 m wide. This is a very good picnic spot.
Viralimalai is a small town situated at a distance of 30-km from Tiruchirappalli and 40-km from Pudukkottai. It is famous for its Murugan temple and the Peacock sanctuary. The town is bestowed with a large number of wild peacocks, which roam around the Murugan temple.
Located near the district court of Trichy, is a peaceful temple and attracts many people in all week days. This temple is famous for its discipline and neatness.
Situated at Thirukokarnam, the museum is located near the Pudukkottai station, at a distance of 40 km from Trichy. The rare collections in the sections of Geology, Zoology, Paintings, Anthropology, Epigraphy,Historical Records, etc., are very interesting. The museum is open on all days except Mondays.
Tiruchirapalli is one of the oldest inhabited cities in Tamil Nadu. Uraiyur, which served as the capital of the Early Cholas from the 3rd century BC to the 3rd century AD is a suburb of present-day Tiruchirapalli. The oldest human-built dam, Kallanai, was built by Karikala Cholan across the Kaveri River about 10 miles from Uraiyur.
The medieval history of Tiruchirapalli begins with the reign of the Pallava king Mahendravarman I who ruled over South India in the 6th century AD. Mahendravarman laid the foundation of the Rockfort which is regarded as the cultural symbol of the city and is one of the oldest surviving monuments in Tamil Nadu. Following the demise of the Pallavas in the 8th century AD, Tiruchirapalli was conquered by the Medieval Cholas under whom it served as a regional stronghold.
When the Chola Empire began to decline, Tiruchirapalli was conquered by the Pandyas who ruled from 1216 to 1311 when they were defeated by Malik Kafur. The victorious armies of the Sultanate are believed to plundered and ravaged the kingdom. According to a local legend, the idol of Lord Ranganatha in the Hindu temple of Sirangam was saved from destruction by transporting it out of the city. Tiruchirapalli was ruled by the Delhi Sultanate and the Madurai Sultanate from 1311 to 1378 when it was annexed by the Vijayanagar Empire. Tiruchirapalli remained a part of the Vijayanagar Empire and its successor, the Madurai Nayak kingdom from 1378 to 1736. Under the Madurai Nayak kingdom, Tiruchirapalli was an important stronghold in the wars against the Thanjavur Marathas and later, Chanda Sahib. It served as the capital of the kingdom from 1616 to 1634 and from 1665 to 1736. In 1736, the last Madurai Nayak ruler Meenakshi committed suicide and Tiruchirapalli was conquered by Chanda Sahib who ruled the kingdom from 1736 to 1740 when he was captured and killed by the Thanjavur Marathas.
K.M from Chennai : It is at an 322 km
Near By Places :
· Kudumiyanmalai (25 km)
· Srirangam (7 km)
· Manora (72 km)
· Gangaikondacholapuram (100 km)
· Thanjavur (54 km)
· Sittannavasal (58 km)
· Samayapuram Mariamman Festival
· Allur Jallathiru Vizha